Tuesday, February 10, 2015

more books.

How do we have time to read so many books? When baby goes to bed, turn the tv off. 
Pretty hilarious and makes me feel pretty good about our travels so far. This book is a collection of essays written by different women from all over the world who have had nightmares on the road. Caiden hasn't been the best sleeper when we travel, but he's been an awesome travel companion. He loves being in cars or airplanes and will zone out to an iPad indefinitely. (I think the trick is that we never let him watch tv or play on the iPad so when there's a big trip this is a special treat.) Just when we were about to swear off traveling with kids until they are about 18, this quote from the introduction inspired me to keep going: 


Just when you think life can't get more depressing after watching a random world news segment, you find a book like this. Written about life in a slum in Mumbai which apparently is fairly accurate. The author researched the book by living near the slum for a few years and my friends who live in Mumbai said this painted a picture of slum life from what they have seen. I know people live like this because I've seen the slums in India with my own eyes, but it's still so incredibly shocking and just seems like it can't be true. It's really good to read stuff like this to keep things in perspective.
Since SG tv is so crappy here, we only watch the shows that we really want to watch rather than just having the tv on watching nonsense. One of these shows is GIRLS on HBO. I love this show. Her memoir is fairly odd. I think you have to really "get" her sense of humor to really appreciate it. If you like the show, then I'd recommend this read.

No comments:

Post a Comment