Monday, May 12, 2014

quick update.

I realized I haven't posted anything in almost a month, so here's why. Things have been pretty busy lately. We've made quite a few life-changing choices.

1. We've signed another 2 year contract after weighing many possibilities. I say contract, singular, because I'm going to be subbing next year and not full-time.

2. We've both decided to start our Master's degrees in International Education in the Fall from 2 different universities.

3.We have booked all of our tickets/apartments/cars for the grand adventure across North America this summer. What does this look like?
Singapore- Japan- Vancouver- Austin- Va Beach- Calgary, Invermere- Vancouver- Japan- Singapore
(Might even have a few spontaneous trips.)

4. We are moving apartments to the other side of the island- yes, a whole 15 minutes away. (Which actually seems very far.) Very excited about it though. We will be a block from the beach where there's lots of bike paths which should be fun. Can't wait to explore another part of the city.
Here is LBC checking out the new apt while the agents negotiate price.

5. And we are in the process of hiring a Helper or Foreign Domestic Worker. For everyone outside of Asia, this is a very foreign idea. She will help out with the cooking, cleaning and babysit Caiden when I'm at work. Think of it like a nanny who also cleans. Or a maid who also babysits. So the weird part is that she will live with us. We are still getting used to the idea and I think it will take some time to figure out what this relationship will look like. BUT very excited to have someone do ALL of the housework for us.

6. Oh, and we've decided to get a car. This might not seem like a big deal, but here's a little example of what cars cost here. This is a lady in one of my facebook groups who is selling her used car. Yes, that is the price in dollars- for a 2009 CHEVY. And yes, there is a yearly road tax on top of that! AND you can't own a car that's older than 10 years. Lots of rules to prevent people from having too many cars on the road.

We've gone 6 years without a car, but it's time to get one. It's a huge expense so it wasn't an easy decision.

Right in the middle of all of this, Caiden has learned to wave bye-bye. While doing this for the first time, he scratched my eye. It was so painful, I had to go to the eye doctor and sure enough, there was a huge corneal abrasion. I had to get a bandage lens put in for a few days. I was pretty disappointed that I didn't need a pirate patch, but it's 2014. Technology, people. It's all good now, but quite painful for awhile. 
The yellow part is the scratch. 

One of the best parts about moving every 2 years is that you are always cleaning out your closets and getting rid of stuff you don't really need. You can't keep a lot of junk around which I really like. So this week, I've begun the process of cleaning out the closets and even getting rid of some bigger baby stuff that we aren't using. Busy time of year and can't wait to relax in North America for June/July! 

1 comment:

  1. WOW So many changes! I can't believe cars cost 77,000!!! WTF!!!!!!! Your poor eye! Can't wait to see you guys this summer! Prince Caiden will be spinning circles around Nora :)

    ReplyDelete